What is Fair Trade?
Talis is committed to following fair trade principles. We are a proud member of the Fair Trade Federation. https://www.fairtradefederation.org/
We work with four producer groups in Cambodia. Each have in common a fair trade social mission. They are all members of Artisans Association of Cambodia, which is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization. https://wfto.com/
FAIR TRADE PRINCIPLES
- Create Opportunities for economically and socially marginalized farmers and artisans. Fair trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development achieved through long-term trading partnerships.
- Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships with artisans and farmers to ensure that relationships are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
- Build Capacity of farmers, artisans, and their communities. FTF members invest time and resources to help producers build their businesses and create sustainable supply chains.
- Promote Fair Trade by raising awareness about fair trade, educating customers and producers, and inspiring other businesses to adopt fair trade practices.
- Pay Promptly and Fairly by discussing costs and pricing openly and honestly so that producers are able to earn a fair wage.
- Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions that are free of discrimination and forced labor. Healthy workplaces empower producers to participate in decision-making.
- Cultivate Environmental Stewardship by encouraging responsible use of resources and eco-friendly production. FTF members reduce, reuse, reclaim, and recycle materials whenever possible.
- Ensure the Rights of Children by never using exploitative child labor. FTF members support children’s right to security, education, and play and respect the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Respect the Cultural Identity of the farmers and artisans and celebrate diversity. Fair trade products and production methods respect the traditions of the local communities.